The WA Chapter is thrilled to deliver the ZERO Carbon Design Series, running as face to face events at the WA Chapter from August – November 2020.
*The series will be available to be streamed online via the Institute’s CPD Platform FREE for 6 months thereafter.
The ZERO Carbon Design series has been developed by Ross Donaldson to help accelerate the capacity for meeting the enormous challenges brought about by climate change. To meet the critical challenge for a zero carbon economy, it is increasingly accepted that the target for a zero carbon construction industry must be 2030. Given a great number of buildings can take upward of five years from inception to completion, this means we must all be ready to designing to zero carbon parameters by 2025.
This is going to take an unprecedented re-engineering of our profession.
The seven lecture seminar series is intended to provide practical guidelines and case study insights which will enable practitioners to start the journey now. Some of you are of course already on the journey. The course is presented primarily by engineers and designed to be helpful for small and large practices.
We hope you will make the most of it by participating in all sessions. Each seminar will bring one CPD point for registered architects.
structural solutions, embodied energy
- Quantifying the embodied energy within the structure
- Comparing it for alternative materials, steel, concrete and timber
- Comparison with refurbished buildings
- Comparison with operational energy
- The impact of the highly connected value chain on the reduction of embodied and operational carbon
- The UN’s Sustainability Development Goals
- Positive impacts of re-use or recycling on demolition
- Comparing structure with the remainder of the construction and running/maintenance costs/carbon.