Saturday 23 + Sunday 24 February 2024 | Tours: 10 am, 11 am, 12 pm and 1 pm

Address: 15 Wellington St, Richmond


This house has links to so much of Tasmania’s early history!

Originally known as the Jolly Farmers Inn, it was built in stages with the basement brick structure dating back to 1826. The house was built by Simon McCullough, an Irish convict pardoned for his role in apprehending a murderer in 1825. It is thought the first stage was the two room cellar which has solid brick walls and a fireplace, and also features a narrow 'embrasure' between the walls to protect the property from bush-rangers. By 1839 the house was described as 'acommodious new two-storey brick house containing five good rooms on the ground floor, four upstairs with kitchen and cellar below'. It is a Georgian style building that has original floors, NSW cedar doors, window casements and mantelpieces. Some window panes are original glass dating from the 19th century. While the house has been restored to suit modern living standards, there are many reminders of the past. At the front door the well-worn stone step indicates the number of visitors to Tasmania’s History House over the past 188 years. In the front room, the trap door reminds us that this room was the original bar where many barrels and bottles were hauled up from the cellar below. The 1842 census records that Simon McCullough lived in the house with his wife Mary (O’Keefe), their four children, and five convicts. Simon died in 1884 and the house has been a private residence for 130 years. The Jolly Farmers Inn has also been known as the Union Hotel and Stratford House. In 1974 there was a prime ministerial visit when Gough and Margaret Whitlam stayed overnight while visiting then Federal Member for Franklin Ray Sherry and his family.

In conjunction with Richmond 200, Open House Hobart is super excited to announce Open House Richmond. This special one-off event will be held on Saturday 24 + Sunday 25 February 2024, and will form part of an extensive program that celebrates Richmond’s bicentenary. Open House Hobart is an annual architecture program that opens some of Tasmania’s most unique buildings to the public, including private homes and historic buildings across lutruwita Tasmania. We acknowledge that Open House takes place on the land of the traditional owners of lutruwita (Tasmania) and pay respects to the palawa people, Tasmanian Aboriginal Community and to Elders - past, present and emerging.

For detail of the full Open House Richmond 2024 program, head to

Ticket Conditions

Bookings open TBC.  Tickets are free but are also limited and in high demand – if you are unable to attend please cancel your ticket via booking link or contact the Open House Hobart team:   


Free - bookings required


Open House Richmond is produced in conjunction with Richmond Bicentenary. 

Open House Hobart is proudly supported by our partners:

Major Partners: Tasmanian Government, Futago
Partners: Access Solution, Brickworks, Lysaght, Harrison Agents, TasPorts
Supported by: City of Hobart 
Media Partners: ArchitectureAU

Refunds and cancellations

Please refer to our terms and conditions for information about refunds and cancellations. By registering for this event you are agreeing to these terms.